No overview available.
in artist's hand, lower center: par la [parle? porte? pour?] Raison; in later hand, lower right in brown ink: La Hire; inscribed in another hand, apparently German nineteenth-century, in graphite across the bottom of the mount: [illeg.] van Suchtelen, Chevalier de Damery (Paris, 18. Jh) u. J.B. Glomy (Paris 19. Jh); verso, at center in brown ink: Charlottegarrault; and in another hand in brown ink at lower right: Damery/1757
Marks and Labels
Chevalier de Damery [d. 1803] (Lugt 2862), Paris; J. B. de Graaf (Lugt 1120), Amsterdam; J. P. van Suchtelen (Lugt 2332), Saint Petersburg; unidentified collector (PB with crown in red-brown on recto, Lugt undescribed); (Dorotheum, Vienna, sale, June 2, 1964, no. 270. pl. 97); Julius S. Held, Old Bennington, Vermont; purchased 1984 by NGA.
- Selections from the Drawing Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Julius S. Held, University Art Gallery, Binghamton; traveling exhibition, 1970, no. 62.
- One Hundred Master Drawings from New England Private Collections, Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford; Hopkins Center Art Galleries, Dartmouth College; Museum of Fine Art, Boston, 1973-1974, no. 17 (Frank Robinson).
- Master Drawings from the Collection of Ingrid and Julius S. Held, The Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown; traveling exhibition, 1979, no. 16.
- From Fontainebleau to the Louvre: French Drawing from the Seventeenth Century, Cleveland Museum of Art, 1989, no. 86 (Hilliard Goldfarb).
- Renaissance to Revolution: French Drawings from the National Gallery of Art, 1500-1800. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2009, 58-59, 277, no. 20 (color).
- Rosenberg, Pierre. French Master Drawings of the 17th and 18th Centuries in North American Collections. Exh. cat. Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, and elsewhere. London, 1972: 172.
- Rosenberg, Pierre, and Jacques Thuillier. Laurent de La Hyre, 1606-1656. Cahiers du dessin français, no. 1. Paris, : no. 44.
- Rosenberg, Pierre, and Jacques Thuillier. Laurent de La Hyre, 1606-1656: L'homme et l'oeuvre. Exh. cat. Musée de Grenoble and elsewhere (1989-1990). Geneva, 1988: no. 242.
- Stein, Perrin. "French Drawings, Washington," The Burlington Magazine 102 (January 2010): 67.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection