lower right in black watercolor: Winslow Homer 87; lower right in brown watercolor: Winslow Homer / 1883; upper left verso in graphite: not deciphered; center verso in graphite: Danger; center verso in graphite by unknown hand: 15 1/8 x 21 1/8; center right in graphite by unknown hand: 14 x 20 1/2
Thomas Benedict Clarke (1848-1931), New York; (American Art Association, New York, 1899, no. 284); H. Sampson, 1899; grandson, Henry Sampson Gillette(1915-2003), New York; (E. & A. Milch, Inc., New York); Solton Engel, New York; wife, Julia Engel, New York; gift to NGA, 1984
- Fourth Annual Art Loan Exhibition, New York Athletic Club, 1 March 1890,
- Thomas B. Clarke Collection of American Pictures, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 15 Oct.-28 Nov. 1891, no. 88
- The Paintings of Two Americans [George Inness and Winslow Homer], Union League Club, New York, 10 March-c. 1 Oct. 1898, no. 45
- Private Art Collection of Thomas B. Clarke [auction], American Art Association, New York, 7-18 Feb. 1899, no. 284
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1995-1996. (National Gallery only, not in catalogue)
- An Amazing Bit of Sleight of Hand: Winslow Homer's Watercolor Techniques, Bowdoin College Museum of Art, Brunswick, 1996, no cat.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure.
- Downes, William Howe. The Life and Works of Winslow Homer. Boston and New York, 1911: 165.
- Mountain, Lee, Sharon Crawley, and Edward Fry. Jamestown Heritage Readers. Book G. Providence, 1995: p. 86.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2012: IV.2, no. 1395, p. 460-461