lower right in black ink: Winslow Homer 87; lower right in brown watercolor: Winslow Homer / 1883; upper left verso in graphite: not deciphered; center verso in graphite: Danger; center verso in graphite: 15 1/8 x 21 1/8; center right in graphite (across): 14 x 20 1/2
Marks and Labels
Thomas Benedict Clarke (1848-1931), New York; (American Art Association, New York, 1899, no. 284); H. Sampson, 1899; grandson, Henry Sampson Gillette(1915-2003), New York; (E. & A. Milch, Inc., New York); Solton Engel, New York; wife, Julia Engel, New York; gift to NGA, 1984
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1995-1996.
- An Amazing Bit of Sleight of Hand: Winslow Homer's Watercolor Techniques, Bowdoin College Museum of Art, Brunswick, 1996, no cat.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure.
- Downes, William Howe. The Life and Works of Winslow Homer. Boston and New York, 1911: 165.
- Mountain, Lee, Sharon Crawley, and Edward Fry. Jamestown Heritage Readers. Book G. Providence, 1995: p. 86.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection