later hand lower center on mount in pen and brown ink: 7 .. Della Scuola de Raffaelle; additional inscriptions on the mount, recto and verso
H.S. Reitlinger (Lugt Supp.2274a). Julius S. Held [1905-2002], by 1970; gift 1985 to NGA.
- Mannerist Drawings, Prints, and Paintings, Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT, 1957, no. 1 (as attributed to Niccolo dell'Abbate).
- Selections from the Drawing Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Julius S. Held, University Art Gallery, Binghamton; traveling exhibition, 1970, no. 104, as Circle of Niccolo dell' Abbate.
- Ward-Jackson, Peter. Italian Drawings, Volume One, 14th-16th Century (Victoria and Albert Museum Catalogues). London, 1979: 136, under no. 279.
- Mortari, Luisa. Francesco Salviati. Rome, 1992: 240, no. 401, and 228, under no. 334.
- Francesco Salviati (1510-1563) o la Bella Maniera. Exh. cat. Villa Medici, Rome, and Musée du Louvre, Paris, 1998: under no. 58 (as uncertain attribution).