Marks and Labels
Edwin A. Blake [1847-1928], the sitter's great-grandson; sold 1916 to (Macbeth Galleries, New York); purchased 1917 by Alice Greenwood Chapman, Milwaukee [1853-1935]; repurchased by (Macbeth Gallery, New York); sold 25 February 1919 to Arthur Meeker [1866-1946], Chicago. Fannie Morris Babcock Murray [Mrs. Henry Alexander Murray, 1858-1940], New York; her daughter, Virginia Murray Bacon [Mrs. Robert Low Bacon, 1890-1980], Washington, D.C.; gift 1985 to NGA.
- An Exhibition of Early American Paintings, Museum of the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, 1917, no. 9.
- Copley, Stuart, West in America & England, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1976, no. 15.
- Ralph Earl: The Face of the Young Republic, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C.; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, 1991-1992, 104-106, no. 3.
- John Singleton Copley and Margaret Kemble Gage: Turkish Fashion in 18th-Century America, Timken Museum of Art, San Diego; Canton Museum of Art, Ohio, 1998-1999, no. 8, repro.
- Babcock, Stephen. Babcock Genealogy. New York, 1903: 67-68, repro. opp. 80.
- Updike, Wilkins. A History of the Episcopal Church in Narragansett, Rhode Island. 2nd ed. Boston, 1907: 2:v, repro. opp. 58.
- Bayley, Frank W. A Sketch of the Life and a List of Some of the Works of John Singleton Copley. Boston, 1910: 23.
- Letters & Papers of John Singleton Copley and Henry Pelham, 1739-1776. Boston, 1914. Reprint. New York, 1970: 313.
- Bayley, Frank W. The Life and Works of John Singleton Copley. Boston, 1915: 48.
- An Exhibition of Early American Paintings, Exh. cat. Museum of the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, 1917: no. 9.
- Bolton, Theodore and Harry Lorin Binsse. "John Singleton Copley." The Antiquarian 15 (December 1930): 116.
- Parker, Barbara Neville and Anne Bolling Wheeler. John Singleton Copley, American Portraits in Oil, Pastel, and Miniature, with Biographical Sketches. Boston, 1938: 31, pl. 120.
- Prown, Jules David. John Singleton Copley. 2 vols. Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1966: 1:92, 156-157, 208, fig. 334.
- Miller, Hope Ridings. Great Houses of Washington, D.C.. New York, 1969: repro. 154, 157.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 135, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 13
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 54, repro.
- Kornhauser, Elizabeth Mankin. Ralph Earl: The Face of the Young Republic. Exh. cat. National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C.; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth. New Haven, London, and Hartford, 1991-1992: 104-106, no. 3.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 149, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 40-43, color repro. 41.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection