No overview available.
upper right reverse, sideways: MARK ROTHKO / 1958; reverse, on original horizontal crossbar: M.R.
Marks and Labels
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1985 to NGA.
- New York: A Magnet for Artists, Toyko Metropolitan Art Museum, 1994, no. 119, repro.
- Mark Rothko: The Mural Projects, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2003-2007.
- Rothko: The Late Series, Tate Modern, London; Kawamura Memorial Museum of Art, Sakura-shi, Japan, 2008-2009, unnumbered checklist, repro. (Sakura only).
- Mark Rothko, Portland Art Museum, Oregon, 2012, no catalogue.
- Kellein, Thomas. Mark Rothko: Kaaba in New York. Exh. cat. Kunsthalle, Basel, 1989: 43, 70, two repros.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 321, repro., as Untitled (Seagram Mural).
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 634, repro., as Sketch for Mural [Seagram Mural Sketch].
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection