No overview available.
upper left reverse: MARK ROTHKO / 1959
Marks and Labels
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1985 to NGA.
- Mark Rothko: The 1958-1959 Murals, The Pace Gallery, New York, 1978, brochure, repro.
- Mark Rothko: Kaaba in New York, Kunsthalle Basel, 1989, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- American Art in the 20th Century: Painting and Sculpture 1913-1993, Martin-Gropius-Bau, Berlin; Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1993, no. 117, repro. (shown only in Berlin).
- Mark Rothko, Kawamura Memorial Museum of Art, Chiba-ken; Marugame Genichiro-Inokuma Museum of Contemporary Art; Nagoya City Art Museum; Museum of Contemporary Art, Tokyo, 1995-1996, no. 37, repro.
- Mark Rothko: The Mural Projects, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2003-2007.
- Rothko: The Late Series, Tate Modern, London; Kawamura Memorial Museum of Art, Sakura-shi, Japan, 2008-2009, unnumbered checklist, repro. (Sakura only).
- Mark Rothko: A Retrospective Exhibition, Paintings 1945-1960. Exh. cat. Whitechapel Art Gallery, London, 1961: no. 14, repro.
- Mark Rothko. Exh. cat. Galleria Nazionale d' Arte Moderna, Rome, 1962: no. 42, repro.
- Causey, Andrew. "Rothko through his Paintings." Studio International 183 (1972): 152, repro.
- Descombres, Mireille. "Les 'Seagram Murals' forcent le respect." L'Hebdo 12 (1989): 80, repro.
- Givord, Christine. "Rothko: buisson ardent." L'Express (1989): 53, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 323, repro., as Untitled (Seagram Mural).
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 650, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection