lower left: 40 Henri Matisse
Marks and Labels
Purchased March 1940 from the artist by (Paul Rosenberg and Co, New York); sold November 1951 to Robert von Hirsch [1883-1977], Basel; (his estate sale, Sotheby's, London, 26 June 1978, no. 751); purchased by (John Baskett, Ltd., London) for Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; gift 1985 to NGA.
- Gifts to the Nation: Selected Acquisitions from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1986, unnumbered checklist, repro. on cover
- Henri Matisse: A Retrospective, The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1992-1993, no. 333, repro.
- Henri Matisse: Processus/Variation, The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 2004, no. 94, repro.
- Henri Matisse: Figur Farbe Raum [Henri Matisse: Figure Color Space], Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen, Düsseldorf; Fondation Beyeler, Basel, 2005-2006, no. 167, repro. (Düsseldorf cat.), fig. 110 (Basel/French cat.), fig. 114 (Basel/German cat.).
- Déja Vu? Revealing Repetition in French Masterpieces, The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; Phoenix Art Museum, 2007-2008, no. 64, fig. 15.
- Matisse: 1917-1941, Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid, 2009, no. 67, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection