No overview available.
lower left: Prendergast
Marks and Labels
The artist; gift 1924 to his brother, Charles Prendergast [1869-1948], Westport, Connecticut; by inheritance to his wife, Eugenie Prendergast, Westport, Connecticut; purchased June 1984 by Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; gift 1985 to NGA.
- Possibly Maurice Prendergast Memorial Exhibition, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1934, no. 109.
- Selections: 1820-1920, Walker Galleries, New York, 1940, no. 6.
- Gifts to the Nation: Selected Acquisitions from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1986, unnumbered checklist.
- An Enduring Legacy: Masterpieces from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1999-2000, no cat.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 164, no. 59, color repro.
- Clark, Carol, Nancy Mowll Mathews, and Gwendolyn Owens. Maurice Brazil Prendergast, Charles Prendergast: A Catalogue Raisonné. Williamstown, 1990: no. 439, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 266, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection