upper center reverse: MARK ROTHKO 1947 ["7" written over an illegible numeral]; upper center reverse, sideways: #22
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
- Abstract Expressionism: Other Dimensions, Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami, Coral Gables; Terra Museum of American Art, Chicago; Jane Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey, 1989-1990, no. 101, repro.
- Mark Rothko: A Centennial Celebration, State Museum of Art, Riga; State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, 2003-2004, unnumbered brochure.
- The Art of Mark Rothko: Selections from the National Gallery of Art, Washington, Museo de Arte Moderna, Mexico City; Hong Kong Museum of Art; Leeum, Samsung Museum of Art, Seoul, 2005-2006, brochures, no. 13.
- Waldman, Diane. Mark Rothko, 1903-1970: A Retrospective. Exh. cat. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Walker Art Center, Minneapolis; Los Angeles County Museum of Art. New York, 1978: no. 79 (not in exhibition).
- Clearwater, Bonnie. Mark Rothko: Works on Paper. New York, 1984: 33, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 309, repro. (repro. is incorrectly inverted, showing top of painting as the bottom).
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 373, repro.