lower right reverse: MARK ROTHKO
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Richard Riley, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C., 1993-1994.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Robert Rubin, U.S. Department of Treasury, Washington, D.C., 1995-1996.
- Mark Rothko, Portland Art Museum, Oregon, 2012, no catalogue.
- Carter, Malcom N. "Art, Money, and the Troubles of Mark Rothko." Horizon 21 (1978): 26, repro.
- Ashton, Dore. About Rothko. New York, 1983: 29, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 284, repro.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 98, repro.