upper right: Mark Rothko; upper left reverse: MARK ROTHKO
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
- Against the Stream: Milton Avery, Adolph Gottlieb, and Mark Rothko in the 1930s, Katonah Museum of Art, New York, 1994, unnumbered checklist, pl. 28.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Alphonso Jackson, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, D.C., 2004-2008.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Steve Preston, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, D.C., 2008.
- Mark Rothko: The Decisive Decade, 1940-1950, Columbia Museum of Art, South Carolina; Columbus Museum of Art, Ohio; Denver Art Museum; The Arkansas Arts Center, Little Rock, 2012-2014, no. 3, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 291, repro.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 175, repro.
- Loos, Ted. “Rothko’s Journey to His Fields of Color, in Full View.” New York Times 162, no. 56,082 (March 21, 2013): F24, color repro.