lower left: M. Rothkowitz; upper right reverse, sideways: M Rothkowitz
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
- Group Exhibition, Uptown Gallery, Continental Club, New York, 1934, checklist no. 56, as by Marcus Rothkowitz.
- Against the Stream: Milton Avery, Adolph Gottlieb, and Mark Rothko in the 1930s, Katonah Museum of Art, New York, 1994, unnumbered checklist, pl. 22.
- Godsoe, Robert Ulrich. "The Art Marts." Whitestone Herald (1934): 5, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 275, repro.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 35, repro.