upper center reverse, sideways: MARK ROTHKO
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Allen Blinken, U.S. Embassy residence, Brussels, Belgium, 1994-1998.
- Extended loan for use by Chief of Staff John Podesta, The White House, Washington, D.C., 1999-2001.
- Mark Rothko: The Decisive Decade, 1940-1950, Columbia Museum of Art, South Carolina; Columbus Museum of Art, Ohio; Denver Art Museum; The Arkansas Arts Center, Little Rock, 2012-2014, no. 23, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 303, repro.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 293, repro.