upper right reverse: MARK ROTHKO / 1962; on horizontal crossbar member, inverted: M. Rothko
Marks and Labels
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford, Connecticut, 1992-2003.
- Black Paintings, Haus der Kunst, Munich, 2006-2007, no. 51, repro.
- In the Tower: Mark Rothko, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2010-2011, unnumbered brochure.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 327, repro.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 766, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection