The artist's nephews, Benedetto and Cesare Gennari, Casa Gennari, Bologna; by descent to Carlo Gennari; Francesco Forni, Bologna; John Bouverie(d. 1750); his nephew, Mr. Christopher Hervey (d. 1786); his aunt, Elizabeth Bouverie (d. 1798); by inheritance to Sir Charles Middleton (1726-1813); by descent to his grandson, Charles Noel (1781-1866), who was created 1st Earl of Gainsborough in 1841; by descent to 3rd Earl of Gainsborough (sale, Christie's, London, 27 July 1922, lot not identified); A.G.B. Russell (Lugt Suppl. 2770a)(sale, Sotheby's, London, 22 May 1928, no. 61); Durlacher, New York; Mr. John Nicholas Brown, Providence; by inheritance to his children; gift to NGA in 1986.
- Burlington Fine Arts Club, 1923, no. 12 (15 Guercino drawings; no catalogue).
- Catalogue of an Exhibition of Italian Art of the Seventeenth Century, Burlington Fine Arts Club, London, 1925, no. 62, pl. LII.
- Catalogue of a Loan Exhibition of Drawings of the XVII & XVIII Centuries, The Magnasco Society, London, at the Warren Gallery, 1927, no. 59.
- Guercino, Master Draftsman: Works from North American Collections, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, and tour, no. 73 and mentioned 170, under no. 74 and "Supplement, A Selective Checklist," no. 165.
- Borenius, Tancred. "Drawings in the Collection of Mr. Archibald G. B. Russell," The Connoisseur, (May 1923): 10, no. VI.
- Russell, Archibald G. B. Drawings by Guercino. London, 1923: 22, pl. XVIII.
- McComb, Arthur. The Baroque Painters of Italy: An Introductory Historical Survey. Cambridge (MA), 1934: 33, fig. 33.
- Bagni, P. Il Guercino e il suo falsario: i disegni di paessaggio. Bologna, 1985: 34.