No overview available.
lower right: Barnett Newman 1965
Marks and Labels
Estate of the artist; purchased 1986 by NGA with funds provided by Robert and Jane Meyerhoff, Phoenix, Maryland.
- Barnett Newman: The Stations of the Cross--Lema Sabachthani, Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, 1966.
- Barnett Newman, Museum of Modern Art, New York; Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam; Tate Gallery, London; Grand Palais, Paris, 1971-1972, no. 57 (New York catalogue only), repro. in Paris catalogue (shown only in New York).
- American Art at Mid-Century: The Subjects of the Artist, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978-1979, no. 12 (of checklist for The Stations of the Cross), fig. 15.
- Zeichen des Glaubens - Geist der Avantgarde. Religiöse Tendenzen in der Kunst des 20. Jahrhunderts, Schloss Charlottenburg, Grosse Orangerie, Berlin, 1980, no. 148, repro.
- The Robert and Jane Meyerhoff Collection: 1945 to 1995, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1996, no. 121, color repro.
- Barnett Newman, Philadelphia Museum of Art; Tate Modern, London, 2002-2003, pl. 84.
- In The Tower: Barnett Newman, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2012-2013, no catalogue.
- Barker, Walter. "The Passion Without the Image." St. Louis Post-Dispatch 12 June 1966: 5C, repro.
- Berkson, William. "In the Museums, Recent Exhibitions: Barnett Newman." Arts Magazine 8 (June 1966): 44
- Newman, Barnett. "The 14 Stations of the Cross, 1958-1966." Art News 65 (1966): 27, repro.
- Dillenberger, Jane. Secular Art with Sacred Themes. New York, 1969:99-116
- Hess, Thomas B. Barnett Newman. New York, 1969:58, 61-64
- Alloway, Lawrence. "Color, Culture, The Stations: Notes on Barnett Newman Memorial Exhibition." Artforum 4 (December 1971):31-39
- Dillenberger, Jane and John Dillenberger. Perceptions of the Spirit in Twentieth Century Art. Exh. cat., Indianapolis Museum of Art, 1977:102-105
- Rosenberg, Harold. Barnett Newman. New York, 1978:161, repro.
- Strick, Jeremy. Twentieth Century Painting and Sculpture: Selections for the Tenth Anniversary of the East Building. Washington, D.C., 1989: 90 (accession number given incorrectly as 1985.65.1-15).
- Dillenberger, Jane. "Appearance and Disappearance of God in Western Art," in Image and Spirit in Sacred and Secular Art. New York, 1990: 104-107, repro.
- O'Neill, John P., ed. "A Conversation: Barnett Newman and Thomas B. Hess ," in Barnett Newman: Selected Writings and Interviews. New York, 1990:273-286
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 247, repro.
- Fineberg, Jonathan. Art Since 1940: Strategies of Being. Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1995:106, repro.
- The Robert and Jane Meyerhoff Collection: 1945 to 1995. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1996: no. 121.
- Hand, John Oliver. National Gallery of Art: Master Paintings from the Collection. Washington and New York, 2004: 440-441, 447, no. 373, color repros.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection