lower right: Marin 38
Marks and Labels
The artist; his estate; by inheritance to his son, John C. Marin, Jr. [1914-1988], Cape Split, Maine; gift 1987 to NGA.
- John Marin: Paintings, An American Place, New York, 1938, as Grey and Green Sea.
- John Marin 1870-1953, The University of Arizona Art Gallery, Tucson, 1963, no. 94, as Gray Sea.
- John Marin, The Willard Gallery, New York, 1965, no. 12.
- American Masters - Art Students League, organized by the American Federation of the Arts, New York, circulated 1967-1968, no. 33, repro.
- John Marin in Maine, Portland Museum of Art, Maine, 1985, no. 58.
- Selections and Transformations: The Art of John Marin, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1990, pl. 220.
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2001, no. 132, repro.
- John Marin: Modernism at Midcentury, Portland (Maine) Museum of Art; Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Fort Worth; Addison Gallery of American Art, Andover, 2011-2012, unnumbered catalogue, pl. 5.
- Reich 1970, no. 38.14.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 178, no. 66, color repro.
- Fine 1990, 228, pl. 220.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 232, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection