No overview available.
estate cachet, on top of intergral base, in front right corner, stamped replica of artist's signature in script: Degas; foundry mark, on top of integral base, in back left corner, stamped: CIRE / PERDUE / AA HEBRARD; left of foundry mark, rotated 90 degrees clockwise, stamped with underline: 21; below stamped 21: B
Marks and Labels
FM: A.A. Hebrard
(A.A. Hébrard, Paris); sold c. 1921 to (Walter Halvorsen), apparently for sale in New York; sold or possibly consigned to (Durand-Ruel Galleries, New York), by 1922; possibly consigned 1923 to (Leicester Galleries, London); possibly consigned 1923 to (Casa Editrice d'Arte Enzo Pinci, Rome); possibly consigned 1924 to (Galeries Georges Petit, Paris); sold or possibly consigned 1925 to (Ferargil Galleries, New York); sold 1926 to Jules E. Mastbaum [1872-1926], Philadelphia. Lessing J. Rosenwald [1891-1979], Jenkintown, Pennsylvania; by inheritance (or possibly a gift) to his wife, Edith G. Rosenwald [1893-1988], Jenkintown, Pennsylvania; gift 1989 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Bronzes by Degas 1834-1917, Durand-Ruel Galleries, New York, 1922, no. 48, as Etude de cheval (les oreilles manquent).
- Possibly Exhibition of the Works in Sculpture of Edgar Degas, Leicester Galleries, London, 1923, no. 48.
- Possibly La Seconda Biennale Romana: Mostra Invernazionale di Belli Arti. Sculture di Edgar Degas 1834-1917, Casa Editrice d'Arte Enzo Pinci, Rome, 1923, no. 48 or no. 50 (different catalogues give different numbers), as Studio di cavallo.
- Possibly Exposition Degas, au profit de la Ligue franco-anglo-américaine contre le cancer: Peintures, pastels et dessins, sculptures, eaux-fortes, lithographies et monotypes, Galeries Georges Petit (sculpture shown at Galerie A.A. Hébrard), Paris, 1924, no. 301.
- Exhibition of the Works in Sculpture of Edgar Degas, 1834-1917, Ferargil Galleries, New York, 1925, no. 48, as Study of Horse.
- Degas at the Races, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1998, no. 127, repro.
- Pingeot, Anne. Degas Sculptures. Paris, 1991: no. 48.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 69, repro.
- Campbell, Sara. "A Catalogue of Degas' Bronzes." Apollo 142 (August 1995): 10-48, no. 21.
- Czestochowski, Joseph S., and Anne Pingeot. Degas--Sculptures. Catalogue Raisonné of the Bronzes. Memphis, 2002: 163.
- Lindsay, Suzanne Glover, Daphne S. Barbour, and Shelley G. Sturman. Edgar Degas Sculpture. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2010: no. 1, 66-68, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection