No overview available.
lower right: Henri Matisse 40
Marks and Labels
Purchased from the artist by (Paul Rosenberg, Paris); (Alexandre Rosenberg, New York)by 1948; sold 1950 to William Somerset Maugham [1874-1965], St. Jean-Cap-Ferrat, France; (his sale, Sotheby's, London, 10 April 1962, no. 24); Colonel C. Michael Paul, New York; sold 15 January 1970 to Taft B. Schreiber, Beverly Hills [1908-1976]; his wife, Rita B. Schreiber, Beverly Hills [d. 1989]; gift 1989 to NGA.
- Matisse Retrospective Exhibition, Nagoya City Art Museum; Hiroshima Museum of Art; Kasama Nichido Museum of Art, 1991, 164, no. 61, repro.
- Matisse, Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane; National Gallery of Australia, Canberra; National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, 1995, no. 173, repro.
- Henri Matisse: 'La révélation m'est venue de l'Orient', Musei Capitolini,, 1997-1998, no. 91, repro.
- Déja Vu? Revealing Repetition in French Masterpieces, The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; Phoenix Art Museum, 2007-2008, no. 63, fig. 9.
- Matisse: Drawing Life, Gallery of Modern Art, Brisbane, 2011-2012, no. 299, repro.
- Barr, Alfred H., Jr. Matisse: His Art and His Public. New York:255, repro.
- Jeudwine, W.R. "Modern Paintings from the Collection of W. Somerset Maugham - II." Apollo (November 1956):139, repro.
- Maugham, William Somerset. Purely for My Pleasure. London, 1961:4, repro.
- Matisse: La révélation m'est venue de l'Orient, Exh. cat., Musei capitolini, Rome, 1997: 214, no. 91, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection