lower right in brown ink: M va Heemskerck / 1559. Inventor
Freiherr Richard von Kühlmann [1873-1948]; Curtis O. Baer [1898-1976]; by descent to Dr. and Mrs. George Baer; designated purchase by NGA with funds contributed by Walter H. and Leonore Annenberg, 1990.
- Symposium of the Graphic Arts, Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut, 1955.
- Drawings from the Collection of Curtis O. Baer, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, Mass., 1958, no. 15.
- Master Drawings from Titian to Picasso, The Curtis O. Baer Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, and tour, 1985-1987, no. 27.
- Art for the Nation, Gifts in Honor of the 50th Anniversary of the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1991, pp. 24-25.
- The Sweet Uses of Adversity, Images of the Biblical Job. The Mitchell Gallery, St. John's College, Annapolis, 2002, 57, no. 11, and 58, under no. 12.
- Fabulous Journeys and Faraway Places: Travels on Paper, 1450 - 1700, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2007
- Hoetink, H.R. "Heemskerck en het zestiende eeuwse spiritualisme," Bulletin Museum Boymans-van Beuningen 12, no. 1 (1961): 15.
- Oberhuber, Konrad, ed. Renaissance and Baroque Drawings from the Collection of John and Alice Steiner. Exh. cat. Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 1977: 124.
- Veldman, Ilja M. Maarten van Heemskerck and Dutch Humanism in the Sixteenth Century. Maarssen, 1977: 62.
- Robinson, William, in Old Master Drawings from the Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design, exh. cat. Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, 1983: 173.