No overview available.
center right in white watercolor: Homer '77
Marks and Labels
William Townsend, Boston, nd; Rose Townsend and Elizabeth Townsend, Boston, his nieces, by bequest, nd; Thomas H. Townsend, Boston, their cousin, and William Townsend's great-nephew, by bequest, c. 1975; (Vose Galleries of Boston, 1977); Jo and Julian Ganz, Los Angeles, 1977; gift to NGA, 1990
- Tenth Annual Exhibition, American Society of Painters in Water Colors, New York, 22 Jan.-4 March 1877, no. 122
- Winslow Homer Watercolors, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2 March -11 May 1986. Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, 6 June-27 July 1986; Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, 11 Sept.-2 Nov. 1986, no. 31
- Art for the Nation: Gifts in Honor of the 50th Anniversary of the national Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1991, 172-173, color repro.
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996, 154-155, no. 85.
- Winslow Homer and the Critics: Forging a National Art in the 1870s, The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City; Los Angeles County Museum of Art; High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2001-2002, unnumbered catalogue, fig. 83 (shown only in Kansas City).
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure, detail on cover.
- Gingold, Diane J. and Elizabeth A.C. Weil. The Corporate Patron. New York, 1991: 108, color repro.
- Kopper, Philip. America's National Gallery of Art: A Gift to the Nation. New York, 1991: 325, color repro.
- Hechinger, Fred M. "About Partnership." On Common Ground (newsletter of the Yale-New Haven Teachers Institute) (Fall 1993): 20.
- Scholastic Art 24, (April-May 1994): 10.
- Winslow Homer. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996: no. 85.
- Unger, Miles. The Watercolors of Winslow Homer. New York, 2001: 65, 68.
- Winslow Homer and the Critics. Exh. cat. Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, MO; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles; High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2001-2002: fig. 83.
- Kelly, Franklin. "Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art." National Gallery of Art Bulletin, no. 33 (Summer 2005): 28, repro.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2008: III: no. 613, p. 41
- Tedeschi, Martha with Kristi Dahm. Watercolors by Winslow Homer: The Color of Light, Art Institute of Chicago, 2008: 57, fig. 24.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection