No overview available.
lower left in watercolor: J. Martin 1844; by later hand, upper center verso in graphite: The River Wye, Near Chepstow / by John Martin 1789-1854 / Signed and dated 184 4. / Exhibited at the Royal Academy, London, 1845 No 707. / Inspected and authenticated by D. Kighle y Baxandall / of the Cardeff Art Gallery 17:6:1941. who expressed a / desire to purchase it. M Baxandall is now (1950) / Director of the Manchester Art Gallery
Marks and Labels
Mrs. R. Frank; her estate; (sale, London, 1 March 1977, no. 176). Robert Tear, London. (Michael Simpson, Ltd); gift 1990 of the Circle of the National Gallery of Art.
- The Great Age of British Watercolors 1750-1880, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1993.
- The Artist's Vision: Romantic Traditions in Great Britain, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006 - 2007
- _Art for the Nation: Gifts in Honor of the 50th Anniversary of the National Gallery of Art. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1991: p.146.
- Shoenherr, Douglas E. British Drawings from the National Gallery of Canada. Ottowa, 2005: 110 and fig. 87 (as "Present whereabouts unknown").
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection