No overview available.
on reverse, visible before relining: estate stamp
Marks and Labels
Estate of the artist; (his estate sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 24 and 27 July 1925, first day, no. 105); (M. Knoedler & Company, London and New York) on joint account with (T.H. Robinson); sold 1958 to Thomas K. Ware; by inheritance 1963 to his wife, Lenore Caldwell Woodcock, Huntington, New York; (Sotheby Parke-Bernet, New York, 25 April 1980, no. 77); private collection, Brookline, Massachusetts; (Jeffrey R. Brown Fine Arts, North Amherst, Massachusetts), in 1981; Virginia Bailey Brown, North Amherst, Massachusetts; gift/purchase 1991 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Paintings by the Late John Singer Sargent, R.A., M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 1925, no. 5.
- A Century of American Landscape Paintings, 1800-1900, Museum of Fine Arts, Springfield, Massachusetts, 1938, no. 61.
- Extended loan, Heckscher Museum of Art, Huntington, Long Island, New York, 1967-1974.
- American Impressionism, Mead Art Museum, Amherst, Massachusetts, 1982.
- John Singer Sargent Drawings, Hood Museum of Art, Hanover, New Hampshire, 1983.
- Charteris, Evan. John Sargent. New York, 1927: 289, as Valdemosa, Majorca (Thistles and Herbage on Hillside).
- Mount, Charles Merrill. John Singer Sargent: A Biography. Rev. ed. New York, 1969: 473, as Roots, Valdemosa (originally published 1955).
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 122-125, color repro.
- Hand, John Oliver. National Gallery of Art: Master Paintings from the Collection. Washington and New York, 2004: 339, no. 273, color repro.
- Martindale, Meredith. John Singer Sargent a Mallorca. Mallorca, 2009: 47, 122, color repro. 37.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection