by later hand (?) lower left in pen and ink: A. del Sarto; by later hand, lower center verso in red chalk: Andrea del Sarto / A del Sarto; by later hand, upper center verso in graphite: FROM THE DUKE'S OF ARGYLL COLLECTION / 4th DUKES OF ARGYLL SALE / (LONDON, T. PHILIPPE, 21st MAY 1798)
Marks and Labels
Jan Pietersz. Zoomer (Lugt 1511); Jonathan Richardson, Sr. (Lugt 2184); John Campbell, 5th Duke of Argyll by 1784 (sale, London, T. Philipe, 21-23 May 1798); Walter Savage Landor, Florence; Private Collection, Zurich; Julius Böhler, Munich; sold to Armand Hammer Collection, 1977; gift to NGA in 1991.
- Exhibited with the Armand Hammer collection from 1977, beginning with J. Paul Getty Museum, Malibu.
- Munich, Julius Böhler, Handzeichnungen aus Fünf Jahrhunderten 1400-1900 und einige Bronzen und Terrakotten, Summer 1977, no. 5.
- John Shearman, Andrea del Sarto, Oxford, 1965, 289-290, 385-386, plate 47a.
- Raffaele Monti, Andrea del Sarto, Milan, 1965, 125-126, no. 352.
- (sale cat.), Sotheby's, New York, 28 January 2000, under no. 12, fig. 1.
- Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and the Renaissance in Florence. Exh. cat. Ottawa, National Gallery of Canada, 2005: 142, fig. 37.2
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection