lower left: F.W. Benson / [four blurred digits, possibly 1910]
Marks and Labels
Commissioned by the sitter's parents, The Reverend and Mrs. George Alexander Strong, Boston; by inheritance to their daughter, the sitter, Margaret Wendell Strong Withers [1892-1973] and her husband, Captain Clarke Withers [d. 1983], Massachusetts and St. Michael's, Maryland; by bequest 1983 to Captain Wither's first cousin once removed, Elizabeth Clarke Hayes [Mrs. Francis W. Hayes], St. Michael's, Maryland; gift 1992 to NGA.
- Frank W. Benson: A Retrospective, Berry-Hill Galleries, Inc., New York, 1989, no. 28.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, Academy Art Museum, Easton, Maryland, 2007-2008.
- Bedford, Faith Andrews. "Frank W. Benson: A Biography." In Frank W. Benson: A Retrospective. Exh. cat. Berry-Hill Galleries, Inc., New York, 1989: 66, no. 28.
- Bedford, Faith Andrews. Frank W. Benson: American Impressionist. New York, 1994: 106, repro. 107.
- Kelly, Franklin, with Nicolai Cikovsky, Jr., Deborah Chotner, and John Davis. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part I. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1996: 28-31, color repro.
A thin, grayish ground is applied over \rthe medium-weight, plain-weave fabric support. The \rpainting remains unlined and is attached to the original \rfour-member, mortise-and-tenon stretcher. The fabric \rwas primed before stretching. Paint was applied fluidly \rand in a relatively thick manner in a series of impasted \rbrushstrokes. A small repaired hole is found in the area \rof the sitter's hair. There appears to be writing in addition to the signature and date. Efforts to decipher this \rwith infrared reflectography and ultraviolet examination \rhave been unsuccessful. The painting underwent varnish \rremoval in 1993 and is currently displayed unvarnished.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection