No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Commissioned 1794 by the sitter, John Jay (1745-1829), New York; by descent in his family; gift 2009 to NGA.
- [exhibition], Boston Athenaeum, 1832.
- Loan Exhibition of Historical Portraits and Relics (part of the Centennial Celebration of the Inauguration of George Washington as First President of the United States), Metropolitan Opera House, New York, 1889, no. 120.
- Loan Collection of Paintings by Early American Artists, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1895-1896.
- Life in America. A Special Loan Exhibition of Paintings held during the period of the New York World's Fair, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1939, no. 49, repro.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1951-2009.
- Alexander Hamilton Bicenntenial Exhibition, U.S. Department of Treasury, Washington, D.C., 1957.
- Gilbert Stuart: Portraitist of the Young Republic, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence; The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1967, no. 25.
- Gilbert Stuart, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; National Gallery of Art (for the National Portrait Gallery), Washington, D.C., 2004-2005, no. 32, repro.
- Tuckerman, Henry T. Book of the Artists. New York, 1867: 109.
- Mason, George C. The Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart. New York, 1879: 205-207, pl. 8.
- "Portraits painted by Stuart." In Exhibition of Portraits Painted by Stuart. Exh. cat. 2nd ed. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1880: 44, no. 328.
- Park, Lawrence. Gilbert Stuart. 2 vols. New York, 1926: 1:436, no. 437, repro.
- Report of United States George Washington Bicentennial Commission. Vol. V (1932): no. 69.
- Whitley, William T. Gilbert Stuart. Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1932: 88, 91-92.
- Ide, John Jay. The Portraits of John Jay. New York, 1938: 26-27, no. 7, repro.
- Walker, John, and Macgill James. Great American Paintings from Smibert to Bellows 1729-1924. London and New York, 1943: pl. 19.
- [Article about the issue of a 15-cent U.S. postage stamp featuring a likeness of John Jay taken from the painting], The Washington Post, 2 November 1958.
- Mount, Charles Merrill. Gilbert Stuart: A Biography. New York, 1964: 183-185, repro.
- American Heritage (February 1968): color repro. on cover.
- Neumeyer, Alfred. Geschichte der Amerikanischen Malerei. Munich, 1974: 119, 165 n. 90.
- Flexner, Thomas. "The Man Who Painted Washington." American Heritage XXVII, no. 5 (August 1976): 46, repro.
- American Art through 40 Presidencies. An Inaugural Celebration 1981. Self-guided tour, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1981: Gallery 64, repro.
- Anderson, Nancy. "Gilbert Stuart, John Jay." Bulletin / National Gallery of Art, no. 42 (Spring 2010): 18-19, repro.
- Evans, Dorinda. Gilbert Stuart and the Impact of Manic Depression. Burlington, 2013: 18.