inscribed bottom right: B.L. Pratt 1893; in raised letters across top: DAVGHTERS OF FREDERICK AND / ELIZABETH SHATTVCK; in raised letters on right behind sitter: LIZZIE; in raised letters on left behind sitter: CL.AR.A; cold-stamped in cursive text in surface of outer edge below relief after casting: Cast by Lorme & Aubry. / New York.1894.
Frederick and Elizabeth Shattuck, Boston; by descent in the family of the sitters. (Hirschl & Adler Galleries, New York); sold 8 February 1984 to John Goelet, New York; gift 1992 to NGA.
- Sculpture by Bela Lyon Pratt, Saint Botolph Club, Boston, 1907-1908, no. 6, as Daughters of Dr. F.C. Shattuck.
- Downes, William Howe. "The Work of Bela Pratt, Sculptor." New England Magazine 27 (February 1903): 764-765.
- "Mr. Pratt's Sculptures at the St. Botolph Club." Boston Evening Transcript (13 December 1907): part 2, page 13.
- Saint Botolph Club. Exhibition at Saint Botolph Club, Boston: Sculpture by Bela Lyon Pratt. Boston, 1907: no. 6.
- Shattuck, George Cheever. Frederick Cheever Shattuck, M.D., 1847-1929: A Memoir by George Cheever Shattuck, M.D.. Boston, 1967: 14, 36.
- Fink, Lois Marie. American Art at the Nineteenth-Century Paris Salons. Washington and Cambridge, 1990: 382.
- Galvin, John T. The Gentleman Mr. Shattuck: A Biography of Henry Lee Shattuck, 1879-1971. Boston, 1996: 49.
- Butler, Ruth, and Suzanne Glover Lindsay, with Alison Luchs, Douglas Lewis, Cynthia J. Mills, and Jeffrey Weidman. European Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 435-439, color repro.