No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Possibly Pierre Crozat [1665-1740], Paris; private collection (sale, London, Christie's, 29 November 1977, lots 33 and 34); John R. Gaines, Lexington, KY (sale, New York, Sotheby's, 17 November 1986, lot 8); purchased by Ian Woodner, New York; by inheritance to his daughters, Andrea and Dian Woodner, New York; gift to NGA, 1993.
- Master Drawings: The Woodner Collection, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1987, no. 12.
- Master Drawings from the Woodner Collection, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1990, no. 15.
- Nine Old Master Drawings: Recent Gifts from the Woodner Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1993 (checklist only).
- The Touch of the Artist: Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1995-1996, no. 34.
- Art for the Nation: Collecting for a New Century, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2000-2001.
- Tapestry in the Renaissance, Art and Magnificence, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 2002, 204, 208, no. 20.
- Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006 - 2007.
- Popham, A.E. and Johannes Wilde. The Italian Drawings of the XV and XVI Centuries in the Collection of His Majesty the King at Windsor Castle. London, 1949: under no. 802 (as Christ Giving the Keys to St. Peter).
- Fischel, O. and Konrad Oberhuber. Raphael Zeichnungen, IX: Entwürfe zu Werken Raphaels und seiner Schule im Vatican 1511/12 Bis 1520. Berlin, 1972: no. 443-4, pl. 45.
- Shearman, John. Raphael's Cartoons in the Collection of Her Majesty the Queen and the Tapestries for the Sistine Chapel. London, 1972: 96-97, figs. 48, 49 (as Study for the Charge to St. Peter).
- Annesley, Noël. "Raphael's Charge to Saint Peter." Christie's Review of the Season. London, 1978: 96.
- Joannides, Paul. The Drawings of Raphael, with a Complete Catalogue. Berkeley, 1983: no. 358, as Pasce Oves.
- Knab, Eckhart, Erwin Mitsch, and Konrad Oberhuber. Raphael, Die Zeichnungen. Stuttgart, 1983: 125, figs. 514, 515.
- Raphael dans les collections françaises, Grand Palais, Paris, 1983-4: mentioned under no. 99.
- Ames-Lewis, Francis. The Draftsman Raphael. New Haven and London, 1986: 131-132, figs. 141-142.
- Gardner, Paul. "The Old Master" Art News 123 (September 1987): 123, repro. 121.
- Gere, J.A. Drawings by Raphael and His Circle From British and North American Collections. Exh. cat. Pierpont Morgan Library, New York, 1987, mentioned under no. 26.
- Cummings, Paul. "Interview: Ian Woodner Talks with Paul Cummings." Drawing. IX, 5 (1988): 107.
- Raffaello e i suoi. exh. cat., Rome, Villa Medici. 1992: 191.
- Jones, Jennifer. "The Woodner Collections at the National Gallery." Drawing 17 (September-October 1995): 49-53 (repr. fig. 4).
- The Touch of the Artist: Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1995-1996: no. 34.
- Clayton, Martin. Raphael and His Circle, Drawings from Windsor Castle. exh. cat. London, 1999: under no. 26.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection