lower right in plate: BM; upper left in plate: 1552; by later hand, right verso in graphite: BM - 1552 / Hercule Combattant l'Hydra / Tres rare; by later hand, center verso in graphite: CH161084L239; by later hand, lower center verso in graphite: 36; by later hand, lower left verso in graphite: 850.; by later hand, lower right verso in graphite: H
Marks and Labels
Unidentified collection (stamp, HB or HUB DUP, Lugt undescribed); (sale, Christie's, London, 16 October 1984, no. 239); (Valeria Bella Stampe, Milan); Dr. Ruth B. Benedict (1913-1993), Washington, DC; by descent to Philip and Judith Benedict; gift to NGA, 1997.
- A Discerning Eye: Prints and Drawings Given by Ruth B. Benedict, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994, no. 3.
- Bartsch, Adam. Le peintre graveur. 21 vols. Vienna, 1802-1821: Adam. Le peintre graveur. 21 vols. Vienna: J.V. Degen, 1802-1821: undesc.
- Meyer, Julius et al. Allegmeines Kunstler-Lexikon, unter Mitwirkung der namhaftesten Fachgelehrten des In- und Auslandes. 3 vols. Leipzig: Wilhelm Engelmann, 1972-1885.
- A Discerning Eye: Prints and Drawings Given by Ruth B. Benedict. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: no. 3.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection