No overview available.
Marks and Labels
By inheritance to the sitter's son, Thomas Lister Parker [1779-1858], Browsholme, York County, until at least 1817; probably by inheritance to Thomas Lister, 4th baron Ribblesdale [1854-1925], Gisburne Park, near Clitheroe, York County, from at least 1878; purchased 2 July 1918 by (Thos. Agnew & Sons., Ltd., London); sold 27 February 1919 to Lady Michelham [d. 1927], London; sold 28 November 1921 back to (Thos. Agnew & Sons., Ltd., London); sold 17 May 1923 to (Arthur J. Sulley & Co., London). Mr. and Mrs. William Larimer Mellon, Pittsburgh, by 1925; their daughter, Margaret Mellon Hitchcock [Mrs. Thomas Mellon Hitchcock, b. 1901], New York; gift 1995 to NGA.
- Pictures by Deceased British Artists, British Institution, London, 1817, no. 4.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds, P.R.A., Grosvenor Gallery, London, 1883-1884, no. 91.
- Exhibition of Works by the Old Masters and Deceased Masters of the British School. Winter Exhibition, Royal Academy, London, 1908, no. 151.
- An Exhibition of Paintings by Old Masters from Pittsburgh Collections, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1925, no. 66.
- Catalogue of the Works of Sir Joshua Reynolds, P.R.A., exhibited at the Grosvenor Gallery, 1883-1884. London, 1884: 46, no. 91.
- Graves, Algernon, and William Vine Cronin. A History of the Works of Sir Joshua Reynolds. 4 vols. London, 1899: 2:588-589.
- Armstrong, Sir Walter. Sir Joshua Reynolds, First President of the Royal Academy. London and New York, 1900: 217.
- Baldry, Alfred Lys. Sir Joshua Reynolds. London and New York, 1903: xli.
- Waterhouse, Ellis K. Reynolds. London, 1941: 56, 93.
- Mannings, David. Sir Joshua Reynolds: A Complete Catalogue of His Paintings. 2 vols. New Haven, 2000: 1:308, no. 1134, 2:364, fig. 813.