Marks and Labels
The artist [b. 1933], Washington, D.C.; purchased 1994 through (Baumgartner Galleries, Washington, D.C.) by NGA with funds from an anonymous donor.
- Sam Gilliam: Paintings and Works on Paper, The J.B. Speed Art Museum, Louisville, Kentucky, 1976, no. 3, repro.
- Sam Gilliam: A Retrospective, The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; The Speed Art Museum, Louisville; Telfair Museum of Art, Savannah; Contemporary Arts Museum, Houston, 2005-2007, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- "A Gilliam's New Home." The Washington Post (22 May 1994).
- Fleming, Lee. "Sam Gilliam, Still Experimenting." The Washington Post (5 November 1994).
- "Recent Additions to the Collections." [National Gallery of Art] Circle Bulletin no. 12 (Fall 1994): 28-29.
- Rose, Barbara. "Abstraction as Identity." The International Review of African American Art 13, no. 3 (1996).
- Protzman, Ferdinand. "Drapes not Drawn." The Washington Post (21 June 1997).
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection