center left on socle: J.B, Oudry / 1729; across bottom under each dog: MISSE / LVTTINE
Commissioned 1729 by Louis XV, King of France [1710-1774]. (anonymous dealer, London); purchased c. 1944 by Peter Coats, Kelvedon Hall, Brentwood, Essex, and London; purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Eugene V. Thaw, New York, by 1977; gift 1994 to the NGA.
- Art for the Nation: Gifts in Honor of the 50th Anniversary of the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1991, 86-87, color repro.
- De Lastic, Georges. "Desportes et Oudry, Peintres des chasses royales." The Connoisseur 196 (December 1977): 290-299, fig. C, color repro.
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 77, 357-360, color repro.