lower right in black ink: HOMER - 74
Lawson Valentine, NY, by 1878; Lucy Houghton Valentine (Mrs. Lawson Valentine), 1891; Almira Valentine Pulsifer (Mrs. Nathan Trowbridge Pulsifer), her daughter, 1911; Harold Trowbridge Pulsifer, NY, her son; Susan Nichols Pulsifer (Mrs. Harold Trowbridge Pulsifer), in trust, 1948; Alice Pulsifer Doyle (Mrs. Joseph Doyle), his niece, 1987; Valentine-Pulsifer Collection (sale, 1989), Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift to NGA, 1994.
- Eighth Annual Exhibition, American Society of Painters in Water Colors, 1-27 Feb. 1875, no. 360
- The Century Association, New York, 9 Jan. 1875, within nos. 35-40
- Seventh Annual Exhibition, American Works Not Before Exhibited, New York Athletic Club, 1 April 1893, no. 22
- Water Colors by Winslow Homer, The Museum of the Brooklyn Institute, 16 Oct.-7 Nov. 1915; The Century Association, New York, 8 Dec. 1915-c. 14 Jan. 1916, no. 17
- An Introduction to Homer, Macbeth Gallery, 15 Dec. 1936-18 Jan. 1937, no. 44
- Winslow Homer, Worcester Art Museum, 16 Nov.-17 Dec. 1944, no. 20
- A Loan Exhibition of Winslow Homer for the Benefit of the New York Botanical Garden, Wildenstein & Co., New York, 19 Feb.-22 March 1947, no. 46
- The Art of Winslow Homer, Bowdoin College Museum of Fine Arts, Brusnwick, Maine, and Art Department of Colby College, Waterville, Maine, 1-21 Nov., and 1-21 Dec. 1954
- Winslow Homer: A Retrospective Exhibition, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 23 Nov. 1958-4 Jan. 1959; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 29 Jan.-8 March 1959, no.87/80
- Winslow Homer, 1836-1910: Oils, Watercolors, Drawings, Wood Engravings, William A. Farnsworth Library and Art Museum, Rockland, Maine, 10 July-7 Sept. 1970, no. 25
- Winslow Homer in the 1870s: Selections from the Valentine-Pulsifer Collection, The Art Museum, Princeton (New Jersey) University, 10 Feb.-11 March 1990; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford, Connecticut, 18 March-15 April 1990, no. 6
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1995-1996, no. 65.
- An Enduring Legacy: Masterpieces from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1999-2000.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure, fig. 4.
- Wilmerding, John and Linda Ayres. Winslow Homer in the 1870's: Selections from the Valentine-Pulsifer Collection. Exh. cat. The Art Museum, Princeton University; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford. Princeton, 1990: 50-53.
- Winslow Homer. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996: no. 65.
- Sotheby's: American Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture. Auction cat. May 24, 2000, New York: fig. 2.
- Unger, Miles. The Watercolors of Winslow Homer. New York, 2001: 48, 51.
- Winslow Homer and the Critics. Exh. cat. Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, MO; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles; High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2001-2002: fig. 56.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2005: II: no. 514, p. 295