No overview available.
lower left in black ink: HOMER 1878; by a later hand center verso in graphite: Enfants Jouer sur un barestre(?)
Marks and Labels
Lawson Valentine, New York, c. 1879, Lucy Houghton Valentine (Mrs. Lawson Valentine), 1891; Almira Valentine Pulsifer (Mrs. Nathan Trowbridge Pulsifer), her daughter, 1911; Harold Trowbridge Pulsifer, New York, her son, nd; Susan Nichols Pulsifer (Mrs. Harold Trowbridge Pulsifer), in trust, 1948; Alice Pulsife Doyle (Mrs. Joseph Doyle), his niece, 1987. Valentine-Pulsifer Collection (sale, 1989), Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA, 1989; gift to NGA, 1994.
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1995-1996, 166-167, no. 98, as On the Fence [On the Farm].
- An Enduring Legacy: Masterpieces from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1999-2000.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure.
- Winslow Homer's Empire State: Houghton Farm and Beyond, Syracuse University Art Galleries, Syracuse, New York, 18 Aug 2009 - 1 Oct 2009.
- Winslow Homer's Emprire State: Houghton Farm and Beyond, Syracuse University Art Galleries, New York, 18 Aug 2009-11 Oct 2009
- Wilmerding, John and Linda Ayres. Winslow Homer in the 1870's: Selections from the Valentine-Pulsifer Collection. Exh. cat. The Art Museum, Princeton University; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford. Princeton, 1990: 60-61.
- _Winslow Homer. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996: no. 98.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2008: III: no. 726.
- Tatham, David and David Lake Prince. Winslow Homer's Empire State: Houghton Farm and Beyond. Exh. cat. Syracuse University Art Galleries, Syracuse, New York, 2009: 56, no. 9.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection