No overview available.
lower right in gouache: HOMER; by a later hand, right center verso in graphite: Pulsifer 3/8107 - 29 / R 13 3/4 x 16 1/4 / ?/ L 8 5/8 x 11 1/8; center verso in black ink: 50; lower left verso in black ink (upside down): 15; lower center verso in black ink (upside down): N.2
Marks and Labels
Lawson Valentine, New York, c. 1879, (d. 1891); Lucy Houghton Valentine (Mrs. Lawson Valentine), 1891; Almira Valentine Pulsifer (Mrs. Nathan Trowbridge Pulsifer), her daughter, 1911; Harold Trowbridge Pulsifer, New York, her son, nd; Susan Nichols Pulsifer (Mrs. Harold Trowbridge Pulsifer), in trust, 1948; Alice Pulsifer Doyle (Mrs. Joseph Doyle), his niece, 1987; Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift to NGA, 1994.
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996, 166-167, no. 99.
- An Enduring Legacy: Masterpieces from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1999-2000.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure.
- Wilmerding, John and Linda Ayres. Winslow Homer in the 1870's: Selections from the Valentine-Pulsifer Collection. Exh. cat. The Art Museum, Princeton University; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford. Princeton, 1990: 60, 62 and 63.
- Winslow Homer. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996: no. 99.
- Winslow Homer and the Critics. Exh. cat. Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, MO; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles; High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2001-2002: fig. 111.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2005: III: no. 724.
- Tedeschi, Martha with Kristi Dahm. Watercolors by Winslow Homer: The Color of Light, Art Institute of Chicago, 2008: 204, fig. 16.
- Tatham, David and David Lake Prince. Winslow Homer's Empire State: Houghton Farm and Beyond. Exh. cat. Syracuse University Art Galleries, New York, 2009: 35-36.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection