No overview available.
lower right in black ink: HOMER 1878; upper center verso in graphite (?) by unknown hand: N.3
Marks and Labels
Lawson Valentine, New York, c. 1879, Lucy Houghton Valentine (Mrs. Lawson Valentine), 1891; Almira Valentine Pulsifer (Mrs. Nathan Trowbridge Pulsifer), her daughter, 1911; Harold Trowbridge Pulsifer, New York, her son, nd; Susan Nichols Pulsifer (Mrs. Harold Trowbridge Pulsifer), in trust, 1948; Alice Pulsife Doyle (Mrs. Joseph Doyle), his niece, 1987. Valentine-Pulsifer Collection (sale, 1989), Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift to NGA, 1994.Lawson Valentine, (d. 1891); Valentine-Pulsifer Collection (sale, 1989), Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA, 1989; gift to NGA, 1994.
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996, 163-164, no. 93, as The Green Hill [On the Hill].
- An Enduring Legacy: Masterpieces from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1999-2000.
- Wilmerding, John and Linda Ayres. Winslow Homer in the 1870's: Selections from the Valentine-Pulsifer Collection. Exh. cat. The Art Museum, Princeton University; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford. Princeton, 1990: 67, 69.
- _Winslow Homer. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996: no. 93.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2008: III, no. 680.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection