No overview available.
lower left in black ink: HOMER 1874
Marks and Labels
(Samuel P. Avery, 1874); (Geo. A. Leavitt & Co., 11 May 1876, Avery collection sale, no. 103a); J.H. Stedwell, 1876[?]; (Robert Keene Bookshop & Gallery, Southampton, NY, 1964); Arthur G. Altschul, NY, 1965; Whitney Museum of American Art, by gift, 1967; (Christie's, 31 May 1985, sale 5906, no. 60); Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift to NGA, 1994.
- The Century Association, New York, 7 Nov. 1874 [?[
- Mr. Avery's Collection [auction], Geo. A. Leavitt & Co., New York, c. 8-11 May 1876, no. 103a
- Winslow Homer, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 3 April-3 June 1973; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 3 July-15 Aug. 1973; Art Institute of Chicago, 8 Sept.-21 Oct. 1973, no. 78
- Winslow Homer Watercolors, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2 March-11 May 1986; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, 6 June-27 July 1986; Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, 11 Sept.-2 Nov. 1986, no. 15
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 15 Oct. 1995-28 Jan. 1996; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 21 Feb.-26 May 1996; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 20 June-22 Sept. 1996, no. 64
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996, 131, no. 64.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure.
- Watercolors by Winslow Homer: The Color of Light, The Art Institute of Chicago, Illinois, 16 Feb 2008 - 11 May 2008.
- Cooper, Helen A., Winslow Homer Watercolors, New Haven, 1986: 29 and 244.
- Wilmerding, John and Linda Ayres. Winslow Homer in the 1870's: Selections from the Valentine-Pulsifer Collection. Exh. cat. The Art Museum, Princeton University; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford. Princeton, 1990: 51.
- Winslow Homer. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996: no. 64.
- Sotheby's: American Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture. Auction cat. May 24, 2000, New York: fig. 1
- Unger, Miles. The Watercolors of Winslow Homer. New York, 2001: 46, 49.
- Goodrich, Lloyd and Abigail Booth Gerdts. Record of Works by Winslow Homer. New York, 2005: II: no. 517, p. 297
- Tedeschi, Martha with Kristi Dahm. Watercolors by Winslow Homer: The Color of Light, Art Institute of Chicago, 2008: 49, fig. 16.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection