across bottom: AVE: MARIA: GRATIA: PLENA: DO[MINVS TECVM] (Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee), from Luke 1:28
Marks and Labels
Possibly from the Strozzi Sacrati family, Mantua. Said to have been acquired in Italy by Prince Leopold-Emmanuel-Louis Croy Dülmen [1827-1894], Vienna, by 1886; by inheritance to his widow, Princess Rosa Anne von Sternberg [1836-1918], Vienna; by inheritance to her son-in-law, Count Albert Lónyay [1850-1923], Vienna; by inheritance to his son, Count Carl Lónyay [b. 1886], Vienna; sold April 1929 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 15 December 1936 by The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
- Exposition de L'Art Italien de Cimabue à Tiepolo, Petit Palais, Paris, 1935, no. 299, as by Masaccio.
- Duveen Brothers. Duveen Pictures in Public Collections in America. New York, 1941: no. 31, repro.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 125, no. 7, as by Masaccio.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 239, repro. 149, as by Masaccio.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 12, repro., as by Masaccio.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 84
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 74, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 216, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:303-304, II:pl. 217, 217A,B,C,D
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 251, repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 2003: 458-464, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection