lower left in negative: 368
David and Mary Robinson, Sausalito, CA; gift to NGA, 1995.
- 19th Century Photographs from the Collection of Mary and David Robinson, Achenbach Foundation for Graphic Arts, California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 1986.
- Seeing Things, Fraenkel Gallery, San Francisco, 1995.
- The First Century of Photography: New Acquisitions, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1995.
- Dreaming in Pictures: The Photography of Lewis Carroll. San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, 3 August-10 November 2002; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 22 February-19 May 2003; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 2003-January 2004.
- Bewick, Eileen. "Photographer of Innocence." The Photographic Collector 1:1 (Spring 1980): 5-12, illus. p. 6.
- The Quillan Collection of Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Photographs. New York, 1990, p. 130-131, illus. pl. 5.
- Seeing Things. Exh. cat. Fraenkel Gallery. San Francisco, 1995, pl. 9.
- Nickel, Douglas R. Dreaming in Pictures: The Photography of Lewis Carroll. Exh. cat. San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. San Francisco, 2002, pl. 3.