lower left stamped in red: Degas (Lugt 658); upper center verso stamped in red: ATELIER / ED. DEGAS (Lugt 657); by later hand, center verso in blue pencil: Ph 1565
(Third Degas sale, Paris, Georges Petit, 7-9 April 1919, no. 150.2); (French Pastels and Drawings from Clouet to Degas. Wildenstein, New York, February-March 1944, no. 113); (sale, London, Sotheby's, 1 July 1964, no. 62); Frank Perls; Mr. and Mrs. Harold Mirisch, Beverly Hills, by 1966; (M. Knoedler & Co., Inc., New York); purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift to NGA, 1995.
- French Pastels and Drawings from Clouet to Degas. Wildenstein, New York, February-March 1944, no. 113.
- Drawings by Degas. City Art Museum of Saint Louis, and tour, 1966-1967, no. 86.
- Vernet to Villon: Nineteenth-Century French Master Drawings from the National Gallery of Art. Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art, University of Oklahoma. Norman, OK, 2012, no. 20.
- Lemoisne, Paul André. Degas et son oeuvre. 4 vols. Paris: Arts et metiers graphiques, 1946-1949. Vols. 2 and 3, 1946. Reprinted in 5 vols., New York and London, 1984.
- Gordon, Robert and Andrew Forge. Degas. New York, 1988: 122.