lower left stamped in red: Degas (Lugt 658)
(4th Degas sale, Paris, 2-4 July 1919, no. 250b); Marcel Guérin, Paris; Mr. [d. 1970] and Mrs. Lester Francis Avnet, Great Neck, Long Island, New York, by 1966; Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift to NGA, 1995.
- Drawings by Degas. City Art Museum of Saint Louis, and tour, 1966-1967, no. 85
- An Exhibition of the Works of Edgar Degas (1834-1917) at the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute with Selected Loans from Other Collections. Williamstown, MA, 1970: no. 27.
- An Enduring Legacy: Masterpieces from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1999-2000.
- Lemoisne, Paul André. Degas et son oeuvre. 4 vols. Paris: Arts et metiers graphiques, 1946-1949. Vols. 2 and 3, 1946. Reprinted in 5 vols., New York and London, 1984.
- Moses, Paul. An Exhibition of Etchings by Edgas Degas. Exh. cat. The Renaissance Society, University of Chicago, 1964: under no. 30.
- White, Barbara Ehrlich. Impressionists Side by Side: Their Friendships, Rivalries, and Artistic Exchanges. New York, 1996: 201, recto and verso repro.