center left in pen and brown ink: Piranesi.F.; lower right in pen and brown ink: Bought of Piranesi in Rome / March 1770 by Joseph Rose
Joseph Rose, London (purchased 1770 directly from the artist); presented to Sir Christopher Sykes (1749-1801), Sledmere; private collection (sale, London, Christie's, 4 July 1989, no. 104; (Agnew's, London and David Tunick, New York); purchased 1996 by NGA.
- Building a Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1997-1998, no. 61, as Fantasy on a Monumental Wall Tomb.
- Art for the Nation: Collecting for a New Century, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2000-2001, 184.
- "Art in Rome in the Eighteenth Century", Philadelphia Museum of Art and The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 2000, no. 389 (Philadelphia only).
- The Poetry of Light - La poesia della luce: Venetian Drawings from the National Gallery of Art, Museo Correr, Venice, Venice, 2014 - 2015, no. 92.
- Art for the Nation: Collecting for a New Century. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2000: 184-185.
- Art in Rome in the Eighteenth Century. Exh. cat., Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2000: 545.
- Robison, Andrew. "Piranesi's Later Drawings of Architectural Fantasies," in Giovanni Battista Piranesi--Die Wahrnehmung von Raum und Zeit. Akten des internationalen Symposiums Staatsgalerie Stuttgart 25. bis 26. Juni 1999. Marburg, 2002: 52, 54, 56-57, 57.