- Campin, Robert
- Netherlandish, c. 1375 - 1444
- Master of Flemalle
The precise date of Robert Campin's birth is unknown, but a document of 1422 gives his age as forty-seven, making his birthdate c. 1375. He was active in Tournai (now in Belgium) by 1406. He purchased citizenship there in 1410, which has been taken as an indication that he was born elsewhere, though this need not be the case. He evidently enjoyed a prosperous career, receiving a number of civic commissions and taking on several apprentices. He must also have had some court contacts, as the countess of Hainaut interceded on his behalf after he had been sentenced for immoral behavior in 1432. He died in 1444. [This is an edited version of the artist's biography published, or to be published, in the NGA Systematic Catalogue]
- Tschudi, Hugo von. "Der Meister von Flémalle." Jahrbuch der königlich Preussischen Kunstsammlungen (Jahrbuch der Berliner Museen) 19 (1898): 8-34, 89-116.
- Hulin de Loo, Georges. "An Authentic Work by Jacques Daret, Painted in 1434." The Burlington Magazine 15 (1909): 202-208.
- Tolnay, Charles de. Le Maître de Flémalle et les frères Van Eyck. Brussels, 1939.
- Campbell, Lorne. "Robert Campin, the Master of Flémalle and the Master of Mérode." The Burlington Magazine 116 (1974): 634-646.
- Schabacker, Peter H. "Notes on the Biography of Robert Campin." Mededelingen van de Koninklijke Academie voor Wetenschapen, Letteren en Schone Kunsten van België. Klasse der Schone Kunsten 41 (1980): 3-14.
- Hand, John Oliver and Martha Wolff. Early Netherlandish Painting. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1986: 34.