Grades 4 through 6
This tour supports learning about (and through) art with experiences that encourage critical and creative thinking, working collaboratively, and engaging with rich art content. Students will encounter landscapes, portraits, and genre paintings.
Looking and Learning Skills
During four or five tour stops in the galleries, students engage in activities—such as looking exercises and working in small groups—that foster conversations about works of art. The following connections are promoted:
- Artistic: Students will make observations about the stylistic choices artists make, such as composition and color. This tour includes sketching or creative writing activities.
- Personal: Students will make meaningful connections to works of art through careful looking and by developing their own ideas and interpretations.
- Historical: Students will understand that art can be a primary source that reflects and highlights a historic period.
Examples of Works Featured on Tour
- Example works featured on the Art Connections school tour http://media.nga.gov/public/objects/1/0/2/4/9/4/102494-primary-0-740x560.jpg
- Example works featured on the Art Connections school tour http://media.nga.gov/public/objects/1/2/2/0/1220-primary-0-740x560.jpg
- Example works featured on the Art Connections school tour http://media.nga.gov/public/objects/8/2/6/4/8/82648-primary-0-740x560.jpg
- Example works featured on the Art Connections school tour http://media.nga.gov/public/objects/3/0/2/2/8/30228-primary-0-740x560.jpg
- Example works featured on the Art Connections school tour http://media.nga.gov/public/objects/5/0/6/5/7/50657-primary-0-740x560.jpg
Group Size: Up to 90 students
Length: 75 minutes
Meeting Location: West Building Rotunda
Pre-Visit and Post-Visit Activities
Expose your students to the art of looking carefully and sharing ideas about art. These pre- and post-visit activities are designed to model what students do on their Art Connections tour.
Additional Gallery Resources
Schedule a Tour
Tours must be scheduled at least four weeks in advance. Groups must contain at least 10 students.
Please complete this form to request a tour.
Once your tour has been scheduled, you will receive a confirmation letter via mail in 10 business days (14 days for foreign-language tours).