In Sky Color, Marisol volunteers to paint the sky for the class mural, but she is missing a key color that she needs. During her ride home on the school bus, Marisol finds inspiration that helps her consider all the colors the sky can be.
Art Tales is an engaging three-step exploration of works of art. Using the children's book Sky Color, by Peter H. Reynolds, students are introduced to different themes in a familiar way, followed by an opportunity to connect these themes with art they observe in the galleries. The program culminates with a hands-on experience linking the works of art and themes discussed.
LOOKING AND LEARNING SKILLS
During the Art Tales: Sky Color tour, students will use their imaginations to explore works of art and discover how some artists show the natural world. On this tour, students:
- become familiar with a museum setting;
- observe, describe, compare, and contrast works of art; and
- create a landscape.
EXAMPLE WORKS FEATURED ON TOUR
- Example works featured on the Sky Color school tour http://media.nga.gov/public/objects/1/2/6/1/4/5/126145-primary-0-740x560.jpg
- Example works featured on the Sky Color school tour http://media.nga.gov/public/objects/6/5/8/9/8/65898-primary-0-740x560.jpg
- Example works featured on the Sky Color school tour http://media.nga.gov/public/objects/1/0/9/7/3/2/109732-primary-0-740x560.jpg
- Example works featured on the Sky Color school tour http://media.nga.gov/public/objects/8/2/6/4/8/82648-primary-0-740x560.jpg
Group Size: Up to 30 students
Length: 60 minutes
Meeting Location: West Building Rotunda
Schedule a Tour
We are no longer accepting tour requests for spring tours. We will begin accepting tour requests for fall tours (September 29–December 5, 2014) on August 4, 2014.
Watch a video or download a presentation to show your students prior to your visit. View our museum policies, location, parking, accessiblity, security, lunch options, and other important information about visiting.
We greatly value your feedback about your school tour experience. Please submit this form to share your feedback.