Medieval and Renaissance Miniatures from the National Gallery of Art

January 26 – June 1, 1975

West Building Main Floor

THIS EXHIBITION IS NO LONGER ON VIEW AT THE NATIONAL GALLERY.

Overview: This was the first complete showing of the 76 single leaves and cuttings from illuminated manuscripts in the Lessing J. Rosenwald collection. The miniatures represented most of the centers of romanesque and Renaissance artistic activity in Europe and ranged from the late 11th century to the early 16th century. A few objects of medieval decorative art also were included. This was the 4th in a series devoted to graphic arts given to the National Gallery by Lessing J. Rosenwald.

Organization: The catalogue was compiled by Carra Ferguson, David S. Stevens Schaff, and Gary Vikan, Kress fellows, under the direction of Carl Nordenfalk, 1972-1973 Kress Professor. Mark Leithauser designed the exhibition.

Image: Lippo Vanni, Saint Peter Enthroned, 1345/1350, miniature on vellum, Rosenwald Collection, 1949.5.88

Catalog: Medieval and Renaissance Miniatures from the National Gallery of Art, by Carl A.J. Nordenfalk. Washington, DC: National Gallery of Art, 1975.