- Alexander Archipenko: A Centennial Tribute 1887-1964
- November 16, 1986 – February 16, 1987
- East Building, Concourse (3,500 sq. ft.)
This exhibition is no longer on view at the National Gallery.
Overview: 43 sculpto-paintings, painted constructions, and drawings were arranged as a survey to mark the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Ukrainian-born sculptor Alexander Archipenko (1887-1964). The focus of the exhibition was the loan of early pieces, which had been sent to Israel by the German collector Erich Goeritz in 1933 for safekeeping. Later works from the artist's estate were lent by his widow in New York.
Organization: Katherine Jansky-Michaelson was guest curator with Nehama Guralnik of the Tel Aviv Museum of Art. Jack Cowart was coordinator at the National Gallery. Gaillard Ravenel and Mark Leithauser designed the exhibition and Gordon Anson designed the lighting for the National Gallery.
Sponsor: The exhibition was supported by an indemnity from the Federal Council on the Arts and the Humanities.
Catalog: Alexander Archipenko: A Centennial Tribute, by Katherine Jansky-Michaelson and Nehama Guralnik. Washington, DC: National Gallery of Art, 1986.
Other Venues: Tel Aviv Museum of Art, Israel, March 12–June 13, 1987