The Pastoral Landscape: The Legacy of Venice

November 6, 1988 – January 22, 1989

West Building, Ground Floor, Central Gallery (3,500 sq. ft.)

THIS EXHIBITION IS NO LONGER ON VIEW AT THE NATIONAL GALLERY.

Overview: 80 paintings, drawings, and prints were selected to show the work of Venetian Renaissance artists and their influence on other European artists of the 17th and 18th centuries. Works by Giorgione, Titian, Rembrandt, Claude Lorrain, Antoine Watteau, Jean-Honoré Fragonard, and others were included.

Organization: The works were selected by Robert Cafritz and Sir Lawrence Gowing at the Phillips Collection with David Rosand of Columbia University. Beverly Louise Brown was coordinator at the National Gallery. Brown and Sydney Freedberg designed the exhibition. In association with this exhibition, The Modern Vision was held at the Phillips Collection to show the work of artists of the 19th and 20th centuries.

Sponsor: The exhibition was supported by grants from Ford Motor Company and the Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation, with additional assistance from the L.J. and Mary C. Skaggs Foundation, and an indemnity from the Federal Council on the Arts and the Humanities.

Attendance: 170,526

Catalog: Places of Delight: The Pastoral Landscape, by Robert C. Cafritz, Lawrence Gowing, and David Rosand. Washington, DC: Phillips Collection, 1988.

Brochure: The Pastoral Landscape: The Legacy of Venice, the Modern Vision. Washington, DC: National Gallery of Art, 1988.

Image: Georges Seurat, Study for "La Grande Jatte", 1884/1885, oil on wood, Ailsa Mellon Bruce Collection, 1970.17.81