The Art of Paolo Veronese, 1528-1588
November 13, 1988 – February 20, 1989
West Building, Main Floor, Galleries 21 through 28
THIS EXHIBITION IS NO LONGER ON VIEW AT THE NATIONAL GALLERY.
Overview: 50 paintings and 55 drawings were assembled from European and American museums and private collections to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the death of Paolo Veronese. 2 altarpieces came directly from the churches in Venice for which they had been commissioned.
Organization: The curator was University of Maryland professor W.R. Rearick who, with Terisio Pignatti in Venice, also organized a related exhibition at the Cini Foundation, Venice. Beverly Louise Brown was the coordinator. Gaillard Ravenel and Mark Leithauser designed the exhibition and Gordon Anson designed the lighting.
Sponsor: The exhibition was made possible by Ford Motor Company and by an indemnity from the Federal Council on the Arts and the Humanities.
Catalog: The Art of Paolo Veronese 1528-1588, by W.R. Rearick with Terisio Pignatti. Washington, DC: National Gallery of Art, 1988.
Brochure: The Art of Paolo Veronese 1528-1588. Washington, DC: National Gallery of Art, 1988.