- Oceans, Rivers, and Skies: Ansel Adams, Robert Adams, and Alfred Stieglitz
- October 12, 2008 – March 15, 2009
- West Building, Ground Floor Gallery G34
This exhibition is no longer on view at the National Gallery.
Overview 21 black-and-white landscape photographs in three series by Alfred Stieglitz, Ansel Adams, and Robert Adams selected from the collection of the National Gallery of Art were presented in this exhibition. Alfred Stieglitz's Music: A Sequence of Ten Cloud Photographs, created in 1922, had last been exhibited in its entirety in 1923. Also included were Ansel Adams' 1940 series of 5 photographs, Surf Sequence, San Mateo Coast, California, and Robert Adams' series of 6 photographs created 50 years later, Southwest from the South Jetty, Clatsop County, Oregon, 1990 A–F.
Teen Studio Saturdays offered the workshop "Photography: Views of Nature" in conjunction with the exhibition. A Sunday concert on December 21 included a performance of music by composer Ernest Bloch. Bloch had been an amateur photographer and friend of Alfred Stieglitz.
Organization: The exhibition was organized by the National Gallery of Art, Washington. Sarah Greenough, senior curator of photographs, National Gallery of Art, was curator.
Audio and Video
- Press Event: Oceans, Rivers, and Skies: Ansel Adams, Robert Adams, and Alfred Stieglitz
- Audio, Released: October 7, 2008, (21:37 minutes)